Late last night Peru’s government extended the State of Emergency for 30 days.
This Decree notes that exercise of the constitutional rights related to personal freedom and security, the inviolability of the home and the freedom of assembly and transit in the territory will be restricted. It also states that the National Police and the Armed Forces “shall ensure unrestricted compliance with the provisions issued within the framework of the state of national emergency.”
The Regional Alert Level Designations that expired last night at midnight were extended through Sunday, September 5 through Supreme Decree Nº 149-2021-PCM with the changes listed in the table at the bottom.
This decree also stipulates that the Ministry of Health must present a new set of proposed measures to the Council of Ministers within ten days.
Yesterday afternoon the Minister of Health, Hernando Cevallos, said that the current restrictions would be extended only for five days and new announcements would be coming this week. [The disconnect within the administration could not be more clear.]
Yesterday, while visiting the vaccination center of Campo de Marte, in Jesús María, Cevallos said, “It is that the epidemiological situation of the country needs to be analyzed very carefully. The evidence that the delta variant is advancing, as we know. The last report has shown an increase of delta cases in the country, then it needs to be analyzed.”
Apparently the administration has not been analyzing this data since coming into office as mountains of detailed data has been available for over 17 months and updated every day.
As of 8 am this morning, neither the Council of Ministers or the Ministry of Health has released any official press announcements on their websites or through their official Twitter accounts continuing the silence and lack of transparency about what is going on.
There is also very little press coverage of this announcement so far this morning as it was officially published very, very late. Some of the press coverage seems to be contradictory, too, which is not helping. When there are any new announcements or clarifications, I’ll update this post and note it through my Twitter account. (@ExploreCusco).
UPDATE: After looking closer at the Decree, it appears that Alert Levels have, in fact, been changed for provinces across the country.
As of 9:45 this morning the administration still remains silent with no press conference and no communications.
|Very High Alert Level||Huanuco|
|High Alert Level||Acomayo|
Páucar del Sara Sara
|Moderate Alert Level||all provinces not mentioned above|